Kristien van Acker
June 1979 - Candidate Medicine, RUCA, Antwerp Belgium – Great distinction
June 1983 - Medical Doctor, UIA, Antwerp, Belgium with distinction
June 1983 - Tropical institute
1988 - Internal Medicine UA
1989 - Diabetologist -endocrinologist
1999 - European Recognitian for Diabetology-endocrinology
2001 - PhD UA: “The Diabetic foot, a challenge for policy makers and health care professionals”
1989-2003 - UZA, Antwerp Belgium – endocrinologist
2003-2007 - Maria Middelares, Sint Niklaas, Belgium - consultant Diabetic Foot Clinic
1989-01/05/2009 - St Jozef Hospital, Bornem, Belgium- Head of Department Endocrinology (convention diabetology(1300 patients) -pumptherapy-footclinic)
- First multidisciplinary Diabetic Foot clinic in Belgium at the university of Antwerp in 1989.
- Vice president of the EURODIALE ( see publications)- European Consortium in 10 countries and 14 centres working on Diabetic Foot
- National Diabetic Foot program started in 1993 till 2002.
- Thesis: Diabetic Foot: a challenge for policy makers and health care professionals in 2001
- Partner in the IWGDF (International working group of diabetic foot) ; president Karel Bakker.
- co author of the consensus document IWGDF( International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot)
- co author of Time to Act, IDF, 2005( Year of Diabetic Foot)—IDF-International Diabetes Federation
- Board member of SSCC: Step by Step Contact Committee ( part of WDF: world diabetes foundation, foot project/IDF), president