Alberto Piaggesi, MD, Professor
Alberto Piaggesi was born in Pisa on March 2nd, 1956. He graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the Medical School of the University of Pisa where he then specialised Both in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology and Metabolism.His post-graduate education included stages and masters at the Department of Medicine of the University of Edinburgh, At the Department of Vascular Surgery of the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital of Boston, and at the Department of Diabetology of the University of Geneve.Since 1991 he held a post of Consultant at the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism of the University of Pisa, where he is responsible for the lower limb complications unit and where he set up and manages the diabetic foot clinic which is now the referral centre for Tuscany and central Italy, as well as part of the European network for the lower limb complications management (Eurodiale).
He is professor of tissue repair techniques and of diabetic foot management at the podiatry school of the University of Pisa and professor of lower limb complications management at the school of specialization in Endocrinology and Metabolism of the University of Pisa.He is member of the board of directors of the Diabetic Foot Study Group of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, and he is the Chairman of the Diabetic Foot Study Group of the Italian Diabetologic Society. He is also member of the American Diabetes Association.He has a long lasting surgical experience on diabetic foot and he performed more than 2500 surgical interventions in this specialty. He actually is the chief of staff for the diabetic foot team of the Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana, a 2000-bed University Hospital in Pisa, Tuscany.He authored more than 40 papers on diabetic foot on international journals, and he took part in the first revision of the International Consensus Guidelines for diabetic foot management. His interest in research are mainly focused on tissue repair physiopathology and strategies for surgical management of foot ulcers and on Charcot’s foot.
Pisa, 09 September 2009
Alberto Piaggesi MD
ALBERTO PIAGGESI – RECENT PUBLICATIONS
1. Prompers L, Huijberts M, Schaper N, Apelqvist J, Bakker K, Edmonds M, Holstein P, Jude E, Jirkovska A, Mauricio D, Piaggesi A, Reike H, Spraul M, Van Acker K, Van Baal S, Van Merode F, Uccioli L, Urbancic V, Ragnarson Tennvall G. Resource utilisation and costs associated with the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers. Prospective data from the Eurodiale Study. Diabetologia. 2008 Oct;51(10):1826-34. Epub 2008 Jul 22.
2. Prompers L, Huijberts M, Apelqvist J, Jude E, Piaggesi A, Bakker K, Edmonds M, Holstein P, Jirkovska A, Mauricio D, Tennvall GR, Reike H, Spraul M, Uccioli L, Urbancic V, Van Acker K, Van Baal J, Van Merode F, Schaper N. Delivery of care to diabetic patients with foot ulcers in daily practice: results of the Eurodiale Study, a prospective cohort study. Diabet Med. 2008 Jun;25(6):700-7.
3. Bargellini I, Petruzzi P, Scatena A, Cioni R, Cicorelli A, Vignali C, Rizzo L, Piaggesi A, Bartolozzi C. Primary infrainguinal subintimal angioplasty in diabetic patients.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2008 Jul-Aug;31(4):713-22. Epub 2008 May 29.
4. Banchellini E, Macchiarini S, Dini V, Rizzo L, Tedeschi A, Scatena A, Goretti C, Campi F, Romanelli M, Piaggesi A. Use of nanotechnology-designed footsock in the management of preulcerative conditions in the diabetic foot: results of a single, blind randomized study. Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2008 Jun;7(2):82-7.
5. Prompers L, Schaper N, Apelqvist J, Edmonds M, Jude E, Mauricio D, Uccioli L, Urbancic V, Bakker K, Holstein P, Jirkovska A, Piaggesi A, Ragnarson-Tennvall G, Reike H, Spraul M, Van Acker K, Van Baal J, Van Merode F, Ferreira I, Huijberts M. Prediction of outcome in individuals with diabetic foot ulcers: focus on the differences between individuals with and without peripheral arterial disease. The EURODIALE Study. Diabetologia. 2008 May;51(5):747-55. Epub 2008 Feb 23.
6. Geminiani G, Tascini C, Leonildi A, Piaggesi A, Menichetti F. Activity of ulifloxacin against clinical hospital isolates. Infez Med. 2007 Sep;15(3):169-73.
7. Bianchi C, Penno G, Pancani F, Civitelli A, Piaggesi A, Caricato F, Pellegrini G, Del Prato S, Miccoli R. Non-traditional cardiovascular risk factors contribute to peripheral arterial disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2007 Nov;78(2):246-53. Epub 2007 May 10.
8. Goretti C, Mazzurco S, Nobili LA, Macchiarini S, Tedeschi A, Palumbo F, Scatena A, Rizzo L, Piaggesi A. Clinical outcomes of wide postsurgical lesions in the infected diabetic foot managed with 2 different local treatment regimes compared using a quasi-experimental study design: a preliminary communication. Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2007 Mar;6(1):22-7.
9. Prompers L, Huijberts M, Apelqvist J, Jude E, Piaggesi A, Bakker K, Edmonds M, Holstein P, Jirkovska A, Mauricio D, Tennvall GR, Reike H, Spraul M, Uccioli L, Urbancic V, Van Acker K, Van Baal J, Van Merode F, Schaper N.Optimal organization of health care in diabetic foot disease: introduction to the Eurodiale study. Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2007 Mar;6(1):11-7.
10. Piaggesi A, Macchiarini S, Rizzo L, Palumbo F, Tedeschi A, Nobili LA, Leporati E, Scire V, Teobaldi I, Del Prato S., An off-the-shelf instant contact casting device for the management of diabetic foot ulcers: a randomized prospective trial versus traditional fiberglass cast. Diabetes Care. 2007 Mar;30(3):586-90.
11. Prompers L, Huijberts M, Apelqvist J, Jude E, Piaggesi A, Bakker K, Edmonds M, Holstein P, Jirkovska A, Mauricio D, Ragnarson Tennvall G, Reike H, Spraul M, Uccioli L, Urbancic V, Van Acker K, van Baal J, van Merode F, Schaper N.High prevalence of ischaemia, infection and serious comorbidity in patients with diabetic foot disease in Europe. Baseline results from the Eurodiale study. Diabetologia. 2007 Jan;50(1):18-25. Epub 2006 Nov 9
12. Tascini C, Menichetti F, Gemignani G, Palumbo F, Leonildi A, Tedeschi A, Piaggesi A.Clinical and microbiological efficacy of colistin therapy in combination with rifampin and imipenem in multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa diabetic foot infection with osteomyelitis.
Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2006 Sep;5(3):213-6.
13. Piaggesi A. Research development in the pathogenesis of neuropathic diabetic foot ulceration.
Curr Diab Rep. 2004 Dec;4(6):419-23. Review.
14. Piaggesi A., Viacava P., Rizzo L., Naccarato G., Baccetti F., Romanelli M., Zampa V., Del Prato S. Semiquantitative analysis of the histopathological features of the neuropathic foot ulcer: effects of pressure relief. Diabetes Care. 2003 Nov;26(11):3123-8.
15. Bonuccelli U., Lucetti C., Del Dotto P., Ceravolo R., Gambaccini G., Bernardini S., Rossi G., Piaggesi A. Orthostatic hypotension in de novo Parkinson disease. Arch Neurol. 2003 Oct;60(10):1400-4.
16. Giuggioli D., Sebastiani M., Cazzato M., Piaggesi A., Abatangelo G., Ferri C. Autologous skin grafting in the treatment of severe scleroderma cutaneous ulcers: a case report.
Rheumatology (Oxford). 2003 May;42(5):694-6.
17. Piaggesi A., Rizzo L., Golia F., Costi D., Baccetti F., Ciaccio S., De Gregorio S., Vignali E., Trippi D., Zampa V., Marcocci C., Del prato S. Biochemical and ultrasound tests for early diagnosis of active neuro-osteoarthropathy (NOA) of the diabetic foot. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2002 Oct;58(1):1-9.
18. Piaggesi A., Baccetti F., Rizzo L., Romanelli M., Navalesi R., Benzi L. Sodium carboxyl-methyl-cellulose dressings in the management of deep ulcerations of diabetic foot. Diabet Med. 2001 Apr;18(4):320-4.
19. Sartucci F., Piaggesi A., Logi F., Bonfiglio L., Bongioanni P., Pellegrinetti A., Baccetti F., Navalesi R., Murri L. Impaired ascendant central pathways conduction in impotent diabetic subjects. Acta Neurol Scand. 1999 Jun;99(6):381-6.
20. Piaggesi A., Romanelli M., Schipani E., Campi F., Magliaro A., Baccetti F., Navalesi R. Hardness of plantar skin in diabetic neuropathic feet. J Diabetes Complications. 1999 May-Jun;13(3):129-34.
21. Piaggesi A., Schipani E., Campi F., Romanelli M., Baccetti F., Arvia C., Navalesi R. Conservative surgical approach versus non-surgical management for diabetic neuropathic foot ulcers: a randomized trial. Diabet Med. 1998 May;15(5):412-7.
22. Frykberg RG, Piaggesi A, Donaghue VM, Schipani E, Habershaw GM, Navalesi R, Veves A. Difference in treatment of foot ulcerations in Boston, USA and Pisa, Italy. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1997 Feb;35(1):21-6.
23. Piaggesi A, Schipani E, Ceraudo AM, Baccetti F, Campi F, Navalesi R. Diabetologic in-service education for health professionals from non-diabetological departments. Acta Diabetol. 1996 Dec;33(4):277-83.
24. Galetta F, Piaggesi A, Pratichizzo FA, Ceraudo AM, Cosci S, Giusti C. Cardiovascular effects of autonomic neuropathy in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Cardiologia. 1995 Oct;40(10):769-73.
25. Piaggesi A, Bini L, Castro Lopez E, Giampietro O, Schipani E, Navalesi R. Knowledge on diabetes and performance among health professionals in non-diabetological departments. Acta Diabetol. 1993;30(1):25-8.
26. Piaggesi A, Castro Lopez E, Bini L, Benzi L, Giampietro O, Schipani E, Navalesi R. Measurable deficit of autonomic and sensory nerve function in asymptomatic diabetic patients.
J Diabetes Complications. 1992 Jul-Sep;6(3):157-62.
27. Piaggesi A, Giampietro O, Picaro L, Miccoli R, Navalesi R. Individual teaching as a first-step intervention for the education of diabetic subjects. Acta Diabetol Lat. 1989 Jul-Sep;26(3):225-35.
28. Piaggesi A. Problems of diabetics in prison. BMJ. 1989 Apr 22;298(6680):1100.
29. Piaggesi A, Pasca S, Giannini C, Rossi B, Giampietro O, Angelotti M, Pulitano L, Navalesi R. Neuroelectric procedure does not discriminate between painful and paresthetic diabetic neuropathy. Funct Neurol. 1989 Apr-Jun;4(2):141-6.
Pisa, 13 May 2008
Prof. Alberto Piaggesi
Sezione Piede Diabetico
U.O. Malattie del Metabolismo e Diabetologia
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana
Via Paradisa, 2 - 56124 PISA
Tel +39050995114 Fax +39050541521